The University Dental and Implant Centre
The University Dental and Implant Centre
5 Pritchatts Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2QU
Tel: 0121 687 8882 • Fax: 0121 687 8883

Who can receive NHS Dental Treatment at this Practice?

NHS dental treatment is available to specific groups of people. All other patients are normally seen on a private basis.

NHS treatment is available to all students and patients who are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, i.e., those who:

  • Have a valid HC2 Certificate
  • Are receiving income support, family credit, or jobseekers allowance
  • Are pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months
  • Are students under 19 years of age
  • Are children under 18 years

NHS Dental Care for Students of the University of Birmingham

Registration is no longer required for access to NHS Dental Care. Simply contact the practice to make an appointment either by telephone on 0121 687 8882, by email at or by coming into our reception.

There are charges payable by patients even under the NHS. However, the following categories of patients do not need to pay for NHS treatment:

  • Those under 19 years of age
  • Those who have a valid HC2 certificate
  • Those who are receiving social security benefits
  • Ladies who are pregnant or have had a baby in the past twelve months

^ Back to top

I am a student – do I need to pay for NHS treatment?

Students who are 19 years of age or older do not automatically receive free dental NHS Dental Care. However, all students should apply for a HC2 Certificate through a HC1 form. You can pick up a form at the University Dental and Implant Centre or the Students Guild. The application process normally takes upto six weeks and is dependent upon your means. In our experience, we have found that most students who apply are successful. The HC2 Certificate also gives you free prescriptions and eye tests. It is only valid for six months and requires re-application after that time.

If you require dental care and have not got a HC2 certificate yet, you must pay for your NHS dental care. If you keep your receipts you can obtain a refund of your charges when you receive your certificate. The Advice Centre at the Guild of Students can give you further information.

Information on Private Dental Care.

^ Back to top

Learn more about
Dental Implants

What to do in a
Dental Emergency

Take a Photo Tour
of the Practice

Oral Hygiene:
Flossing & Brushing

Visit our
Facebook page



Copyright © 2002-2012, The University Dental and Implant Centre. All rights reserved. Copyright, Privacy & Accessibility Information.